Monday 18 February 2013

Personalizing a joke

So in the last post I was talking about treating victims like victims but we're not saints.   I guess when writing a sketch, you're gonna poke fun / comment on individuals.   So where is the line.   In all honesty, I'm not sure but I have some idea.

I guess if you're in the public eye.   You're a little bit fair game.   See Celebrities, Politicians etc.

You can even push the line a little bit:

Good examples (non sketch):

Mock the Week: Kerry Katona jokes
Have I got news for you (any politics show): Nick Clegg jokes.

And these are generally okay unless you move to cruelty.  See previous post for the piers morgan example.

I think this is the line that is too easy to cross and I suspect sometimes I will go too far but I will try not too.

If you wanna poke fun at somebody who isn't famous (apart from the news story), what's the point?   The chances are nobody will know who they are / get the joke.

I'm not saying this to be a saint!!   I want it to be funny!!!   I don't want an audience to be uncomfortable.   And I want to be able to sleep at night knowing I made people laugh.   Not made someone cry!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment